Friday, January 13, 2012

Book Joy! (and a video)

It. is. finally. snowing.

I was wondering if winter would ever get around to it! I love the snow. It makes me feel all cozy inside and puts me in the mood for a big pot of chili and a quiet corner and a good book. You're surprised, I know (wink).

Today I'm determined to cuddle up with a good book and maybe a child or two...or three...or four - all the better to stay warm!

Kate has already polished off a large (for her) book this morning which has been one of my all time favorite books to read to the kids. It was bittersweet to hear her reading it aloud to herself, as I missed the cuddling and the sharing of a grin over all of the charmingly funny lines. Kate's pick for today was...



This book is such a treasure!
 It is smart, funny and oh so charming with lines like:
"Toes are to dance on..."
and "Snow is to roll in..." and 
"Buttons are to keep people warm."

Illustrated by Maurice Sendak, of Where the Wild Things Are fame, this book will long be one of my favorites.

After he finishes his assigned reading (Treasure Island) Cole, will settle down later today with

 The Star of Stone by Italian writer, P.D. Baccalario.


It is the second book The Century Quartet. The first book, Ring of Fire, is one which I plan to pinch from of his bookshelf later this winter and read for myself.  

Meg, like her dad, is a non-fiction reader and is currently enjoying a digital copy the young adult book, It's Not About Me: Live Like You Mean It, by Max Lucado.

As for Molly, later today I think we'll settle down with this:

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.

While we are thinking about books, and before I get my chili pot all heated up, I thought I would share a video that would appeal to the bookish and non-bookish alike...



Now don't you want to go grab a good book?
Happy Weekend!
{As with all bookish posts, click on the title of the book for more information from the Amazon.com website.}

1 comment:

G'ma suz said...

Thought for certain that first shot of the books was in your home somewhere! I wouldn't want to grab one because by "choosing a book by its cover" (the only way I do) I would pick one of the leads in all that whimsical dancing an mess them all up. Loved it. MOM

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails