Thursday, February 9, 2012

Kitchen Readin'

{On we go with the Things We Love series! To begin at the beginning, click {HERE}.
Thanks to all of you who've commented and emailed (see "Contact Us!" button above to do so) I so enjoy hearing from you about the things YOU love!}

We LOVE cookbooks...well, I LOVE cookbooks, my kids enjoy turning the pages too, looking for dessert possibilities usually--my Man...let's just say he loves me and I LOVE LOVE LOVE cookbooks! My Man does his best not to break out into a sweat when I bring bags of fresh cookbooks home from the library but I can always see the red flags waving behind his skeptical eyes!

John Thorne, an American food writer once said,

"Americans, more than any other culture on earth, are cookbook cooks; we learn to make our meals not from any oral tradition, but from a text. The just-wed cook brings to the new household no carefully copied collection of the family's cherished recipes, but a spanking new edition of ‘Fannie Farmer’ or ‘The Joy of Cooking’."
I entered married life with a few new cookbooks in hand, none more cherished than the one my Ant Sab compiled for me with family recipes tucked safely inside. I've added to that cookbook over these 17 years and I've also added many cookbooks to the shelves beside it.

I've been crazy interested in last year's best and brightest cookbook offerings and I've found some favorites...

I've already gushed about Cook This Now by Melissa Clark

It seems that Ms. Clark had already written another cookbook called, 


which I've found to be just as charming and menu-perking as Cook This Now.

Another cookbook that has had a recurring role in my kitchen lately has been this one by Heidi Swanson,


I am neither a vegetarian nor an all-natural foods kind of gal, HOWEVER, after seeing this particular cookbook referenced on more than one of my favorite food blogs, and on many of 2011's Best Of...lists, I had to check it out. I've made two or three recipes from this book (including tonight's cozy baked oatmeal) and have not been disappointed in the least. For a free sampling of Ms. Swanson's cookbook which includes lovely photography and six delicious new takes on natural foods, click {here}.

 Fair Warning: there are some new and interesting ingredients and recipes in Super Natural Every Day, however, I've discovered some great new ingredients and some new ways to use the more regular ingredients already in my pantry. There are also some cozy & traditional recipes in here too including the aforementioned baked oatmeal which is very worth your time!

Finally, there's this one...

...which has my son researching the best ice cream makers available for purchase!
With recipes divided into seasons and flavors which include The Buckeye State Ice Cream (Honeyed Peanut Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Freckles), Cranberry Royale Sorbet, Black Coffee Ice Cream, and Salty Caramel Ice Cream, and, and, and...every so often throughout the pages is a beautifully pictured sundae, original and inviting and begging to be devoured! 

Tuscan Sundae anyone? How 'bout an Oslo Ambrosia? Or maybe this one that really rings my bell, it's called the Farmers' Market Sundae and boasts two scoops of Lemon Frozen Yogurt, fresh seasonal fruits and their syrup with a large spoonful of fresh whipped cream on top! I'm pretty sure this cookbook will find a home on our shelves by spring accompanied with our first ever ice cream maker if Cole ever gets his research finished!

Below are some other cookbooks that I've been enjoying lately...
Anything by Dori Greenspan but especially Around My French Table
The Homesick Texan Cookbook  by Lisa Fain ~ our family's current fixation...Mexican!
Momofuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi ~ uses the flavor of cereal milk in her recipes!
The Simple Art of Eating Well by Jessie Price ~ beautiful and practical.

The cookbook I'm waiting for with much eagerness is one that my sister pre-ordered for me for Christmas...

...arriving in mid-March, I CAN'T WAIT!

I also can't wait to hear about your favorite cookbooks! Drop me a note or leave a comment so that everyone can learn about some new-to-us cooking material! 

No comments:

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails