Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Left Over Dinner...What's on the Menu?

Happy Thanksgiving!

This year we are celebrating with my Man's family after some of us do a little Turkey Trotting (an annual Thanksgiving 5k in our town), I love to work off my pie ahead of time! The day after Thanksgiving our little gang celebrates "Left Over Dinner" which we have been working on preparing all through the week. We've always gone to one family or the other for Thanksgiving meal and have never had to fix our own which is a fair amount of luxury, however, it leaves us a little wanting in the LEFTOVER department, so we just begin there.

(I'll be taking pictures and posting them through out the day today on Instagram (here)if you want to see how we fare! Click here or follow us through the Instagram app  @TheWrightPlace )



This year our menu for Left Over Dinner includes:

Turkey with a Mustard Maple Glaze by Bobby Flay and accompanying gravy.

Mashed potatoes for my fellas (I learned a new trick this year and have tried it with success.)


My favorite dish by far is the dressing. After searching high and low for a sausage/apple/cornbread version, I've landed on this one from Anne Burrell. I'll leave out the walnuts and use apples instead of celery. (Though I just heard on Mike & Mike that there is a pineapple stuffing making a name for itself and I may search out that recipe and see what all of the fuss is about!)

I'm considering going rogue with the traditional sweet potato casserole and making this one with a little twist by Sunny Anderson. (My Man is already skeptical.)


There will be corn pudding for Meg, possibly from Ina Garten, but more likely from a faithful church friend whose recipe is tucked happily in a cookbook on a sticky note.


We'll be enjoying Brussels Sprouts because Kate loves them and most of the rest of us agree with her. There will likely be bacon and dried cranberries in the dish which I originally found in a Mark Bittman cookbook. (Basic recipe here...I swapped the figs for cranberries.)


The cranberry sauce from Alex Guarnaschelli is made and is in the fridge getting all lovely with its orange juice and sugar and cinnamon stick.

Dessert will be pies, oatmeal pie and pumpkin pie and pear-cranberry pie with whipped cream. If time and energy allows, I'm excited to try this Cranberry, Apple and Fig Streusel from Sunny Anderson (again). I'll swap the figs for blueberries I think.

Many of these recipes are from the "Thanksgiving at Bobby Flay's" special that aired on Food Network last weekend. It's available online now and was super fun to watch, I know, I've seen it about 3 times now as I've been "researching" for the Left Over Dinner.

All of us at The Wright Place wish you the 
happiest of Thanksgivings...



"Thanksgiving is a time of quiet reflection...an annual reminder that God has, again, been ever so faithful. The solid and simple things of life are brought into clear focus." 

~Chuck Swindoll

No comments:

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails