Monday, January 17, 2011

Snow's in the Forecast...Got Soup?

Freezing rain, snow and ice have been mentioned in the forecast for the next few days which causes me to begin assembling ingredients for soup post haste! At The Wright Place we live on soup during the winter - it's in our line-up at least twice a week beginning in December and ending sometime in March.  One of our favorites comes from one of my coziest  cookbooks, written by the same authors who brought us those apple muffins a while back.

The cookbook is called Just a Matter of Thyme...
and it's simply adorable!

Today, we will be cooking...
...my Man's most requested soup, Chicken Soup Au Gratin (sans celery).
(Complete ingredient list follows post.)

First, grab your best soup pot and some chicken breasts.
The recipe calls for "two chicken breasts, whole".  I, however, never have "two chicken breasts, whole" (meaning, I think, chicken breasts which come bone-in and skin on), so I use three or four of those frozen jobs from the humongous bag in my freezer.  It all works.  Salt the water lightly and simmer the chicken until tender.  Remove the chicken from the broth and dice.

Now, to the broth add...
...chopped carrots.  
The recipe calls for 1/2 cup, but I usually add more. We all love carrots. The recipe also calls for 1/2 cup diced celery. I completely ignore that line, I'm not a fan of celery. Next, add 1/2 cup chopped onion. I pull mine from the freezer where I keep lots of snack-sized zip-top bags with 1/2 cup each of chopped onions. 
 I put them straight from the freezer into the pot, in a matter of 2 minutes or so they are defrosted and cooking.
Boil the vegetables until tender.  Gradually stir in 1 10 oz. can of cream of chicken soup and 
1/2 cup of milk or Half 'n' Half (I use 1% milk).
Next, put the diced chicken back into the soup, and season with pepper.
Finally, the best part...
...grated cheddar cheese. Be generous, you won't be sorry.
Heat through, stirring until the cheese melts.
Get your soup bowls and enjoy!
As written, the recipe serves four. 
I usually triple it and this family of six can make it last for at least two meals.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
2 chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup diced celery (if you must)
1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk or Half 'n' Half
ground pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

3 comments:

Lori said...

I see dinner in my future! Cold wet days are good soup days as well!

Love and miss you bunches! Lori

G'ma suz said...

Going to the store today and adding these ingredients to the list. Sounds like something grandma would really like. Of course, Dad will eat anything and enjoy it.
Love to be there and eat it with you AND THE GRANDONES!!! Mom

Deborah Ware said...

Do you guys love broccoli and cheese soup? I made one from scratch last week (my first ever!) and it was delicious -- and SOOOO easy. I'd be happy to pass on the recipe!

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails