Monday, July 16, 2012

On a technicality...

The same piano notes played over and over, eventually those five notes became cha cha dancers on my last enduring nerve...

"Kate," said I in a sing-song voice, meant to communicate long-suffering, "I don't think I can take anymore of that."

Immediately, and to my great astonishment, the notes continued and maybe, possibly, unbelievably they grew a bit louder. I paused and listened to the series of notes repeat themselves once more. I wondered for a moment...had I only made the desperate plea for silence in my head and had not spoken the words aloud? No, I was confident that I had said it with my actual voice to my actual daughter who was sitting at that actual piano playing those same five actual....

"KAAAATTTTEEEEE!!!!  I told you to STOP, that I couldn't take it anymore! Why are you still playing that piano?!?!?!"

"Mom," she explained with an audible grin in her voice from the next room, "You said you didn't THINK you could stand it anymore."

(She had me, if only on a technicality.)

"Thanks then, for helping me make up my mind, do NOT play another note, NOW I AM CERTAIN that I cannot take anymore!"


1 comment:

G'ma suz said...

Oh, to hear those five notes on my piano this morning!!! What a beauty of a picture. Love, Gm

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails