Monday, January 27, 2014

Molly Joy's Snowy Sabbath

Hi! Molly Joy here! 


It's been a weird Sunday at my house!

It's really really really cold here where I live and can we JUST talk about all that snow? It seems like it's been snowing for days and days and you know why? Because IT HAS! All of our activities have been cancelled for the last FOREVER and it has been great. I'm only 5 years old, but here's what I know about me: I really like being at home which is what Daddy calls being a homebody. 

But today our church services were even canceled and THAT was just too much. I look forward to Sunday School and seeing my teacher, who is NOT the same as my regular school teacher. My Sunday School teacher is THE coolest (and she brings the BEST snacks). I did not get to see her today because of all the snow. 

I was bummed, but then I overheard somebody say something about sled riding and I told the other kids as fast as I could because around our house, sometimes, if I get my facts mixed up, it's good to have company. It's harder for Mom and Dad to disappoint four kids than just one.  (It took me all of my five years to figure that one out but it's a gem!)

Mom hadn't let us out of the house to play for DAYS because of how cold it's been and because "there's hardly enough snow" she says. Well, Kate says if you can see it on the ground, there's enough to try to sled in. 

Mom was unconvinced... until TODAY!! 

Kate bundled me up until it was tough to move. Mom said that if I was having trouble moving then I was almost bundled enough. Kate was putting snow boots on but my right foot's toes were all scrunched up and I almost started crying. 

"Look, Molly," said Kate not very nicely, "these boots are bigger than your shoe size, they should not be too small." 

FINALLY Mom came down and pulled my boot off and found a sock stuck in the toe of that boot...from last year! 


Then we had our sleds and were out in the snow. We played and played and sledded and threw snow (and ate lots of snow too, but don't tell my mom...she doesn't like us to do that.)


Mom says there is a mathematic equation about how long kids stay out on the snow. It works like this:  you take the number of minutes it takes to get all bundled up and get your boots on and then you divide that by 2.8 and that should give you an idea about how long you'll be outside before the fun wears off and you begin to feel the cold. 


Mom says it's pretty chilly. She said it felt like 12 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know who that Fahrenheit guy is but he must be kind of, well, not strong, because I didn't think it was that cold at all and neither did Kate. Cole even came out to play for a little bit! 


After about an hour and a half (which Cole says is longer than an episode of NCIS) my hands got cold so I knocked on the front door so that Mom and I could have a talk.


"Hi Mom. I've got snow in my glove and now my hand is all wet and cold."


"And this hat, it's all wet and it keeps falling in my eyes."


"And I think I might have frostbite."


(Right when I said that my Mom sorta started to laugh then she got very serious which I thought was more in keeping with the gravity of the situation. We were talking about possible frostbite after all.

She said, "Molly, since you are so cold and wet, do ya want to come in or do you want fresh gloves and another hat so you can keep playing?"

Well OF COURSE I wanted fresh equipment. It's not every day a little kid gets to play in the snow. It's not every day AT ALL!

Mom said that all of this playing in the snow reminded her of a few years ago when I was too little to go out and play. She says to tell you to click HERE to read about that. And then there was that time when I was TOTALLY old enough to go out and hang with the big kids. Click HERE for that one...there's even a video!

I had a great time playing in the snow today. I hope your Mom let you go out and play too!


~~~~~
“I love snow for the same reason I love Christmas: It brings people together while time stands still. Cozy couples lazily meandered the streets and children trudged sleds and chased snowballs. No one seemed to be in a rush to experience anything other than the glory of the day, with each other, whenever and however it happened.” 
~Rachel Cohn~

No comments:

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails