Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Anyway.

Though it may be difficult to believe, around here, there are seasons when one child seems to receive more "fussin' at" than the others do.  The child on the proverbial hot seat changes with each season.  Lately, I've been a bit remorseful about the amount of "vocal attention" this one...

...has been receiving.  I began to intentionally make certain my bright-eyed child knew how much she was loved.  I would stop her in the middle of one activity or another, look her straight in the eye, and say, "Kate, I love you so." She'd grin and continue on about her day.  At other times, I'd call her to my side and say, "Hey you, I love you lots." After a few days of this, I hoped she was feeling the balancing effects of my focused efforts.

On Sunday, The Wright Place Beauty Shoppe was in high swing when I called Kate in for her turn.  I turned her little head this way and that, placing a curl here and a curl there.  She wiggled and squirmed and then became still-ish, "I love you," she whispered. 

"Oh good," I thought, "she's feelin' the love. Not bad for a harried Sunday morning!" Kate is rarely so vocal on the subject of her undying love for me.

"Kate," I said with much feeling, "I love you too!"

"No Mommmm!" she said sounding like the teen she will someday become, "I was just reading that card Meg left in here for you the other day."

"Well," said I a tad wounded, 
"I love you ANYWAY."


Who taught this kid how to read??

(Answer: The one who loves her...ANYWAY:-)

No comments:

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails