Thursday, August 20, 2009

How to Pack a Family

"Those that say you can't take it with you never saw a car packed for a vacation trip”, says a funny quote I read today. I heartily agree. My Man often refers to himself as the "Packing King", and we're about to challenge his skill as we prepare to take our first "big trip" with four children. Realize, if you will, that merely getting everyone in the van to go to Wal-Mart can, on any given day, seem like a grand undertaking.

Over the past 15 years, we've prepared for many a trip. Early in our marriage, we discovered it best to pack separately. Very separately. In a pinch, under dire circumstances, we are forced to place our belongings into the same suitcase--but if at all possible--we avoid it. It's just best that way.

My approach to packing, in the past, has been that of the "willy-nilly, why-think-too-far-ahead" variety. Unfortunately, when "willy-nilly" meets "Daytimer, let's-make-a-packing-schedule", no small amount of friction ensues.

Sooooo as they say, something had to give. On this matter, it was me. I feel the need to quietly whisper, "I'm much the better for it."

Six days before our scheduled departure date...our "staging area" looked like this:




As the days draw closer, the checkmarks become more plentiful...Cole has proven to be the "Packing Prince" as he nearly completed his list 3 or 4 days ago and has been "encouraging" Meg (Princess of "Willy-Nilly") to get her list finished.

I've learned that "willy-nilly" for a gang of our scope and sequence simply causes too much stress (especially on those square angle types). It seems that a bit of organizing can result in big payoffs that lead to peace in the valley, or in the van as the case may be, even before we head down those "happy trails." Who knew??

Isn't it amazing, the lengths to which one will go to impress her Man?
(Just don't ask how I'm doing with my list.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too funny, but so very true! My guy is really happy when there are clean socks TO pack! LOL!

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails