Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Nourish ~ Create Something...Anything!

Welcome to Nourish: 31 Days of Family, Food, and Faith. This is Day 29! To see the rest of the series click here.

My last few days were nose-to-the-grindstone, get’er-done-and-get-to-the-next-thing sort of days. There were a few moments throughout that might qualify as nourishing, but the largest part of my days was far from what I’ve been describing in these October posts. As a result, my insides were tight and tired. 

The kids and I are on a short fall break which began yesterday and ends today, so I had the luxury of holding very still today and doing whatever I pleased. The problem was that I could not for the life of me figure out what “whatever I pleased” looked like. 

I read a few paragraphs of a book and put it down to save it for later, I picked up a book from a different genre and it didn’t hold my attention. I didn’t have the endurance today to force my attention into sentence after sentence until I was into a good reading pace. 

Sometimes when such a mood strikes, baking a batch of cookies is just the cure. There is something soothing in doling out spoonful after spoonful of sandy colored, chocolate studded cookie dough. There were already cookies in my kitchen. Chopping vegetables for a big pot of soup can help to lift my listlessness, but there was already a pot of soup in the fridge. 

I was outside on my porch when my plan to read went south on me and I looked up to see a hedge between our yard and our neighbor's yard that was full of little navy blue berries, and further down in my yard was another bush with flaming orange berries. 


Leaves in surrounding trees were all bursting with fall colors and all of it mixed with what has to have been the last of the warm air of fall helped bring my mind to a picture I’d seen of a simple arrangement of sticks and leaves and perhaps berries…

Still in my pjs, I grabbed my kitchen scissors and a branch clipper and spent the late morning like I’d spent many as a kid, playing in the yard with the stuff that grows there. After some time had passed, I had a jar full of sticks and berries and two very rustic wreaths to place around my barely-decorated-for-fall home. 


More important though, I also had the refreshed spirit of one who’d been gifted the time and the beautiful warm day to just play.


Creation is exciting, nourishing, calming to your soul, and happily stimulating!  I see it as an energy that wants to live and can only do so through an act of creation whether it be a project, a painting, a song, a meal, or a letter. ~ Jasjit Rai


No comments:

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails