Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Nourish ~ Listen Up!

Welcome to Nourish: 31 Days of Family, Food, and Faith. This is Day 14. To see the rest of the series click here!

“Ten years from now, you’ll be the same person you are today, except for the people you meet, the books you read, the places you go, and the things you memorize.” 

I heard Jay Strack say those words nearly 15 ago when my Man and I took a group of teenagers to an event called Student Leadership University. I had no idea that one day my own teenagers would attend this same event and hear these same words. I hope the words left as much of an impression on the all of the kids that have heard them as they have on me. 

Because it is true

I am indeed, the same person I was all those years ago when I first heard that quote, except for the the people I’ve met, the books I’ve read, the places I’ve gone and the things I’ve memorized. Just as each of those four activities has the potential to change one’s life, each also has the potential to nourish one’s life as well. I’m going to add my own fifth category, to the list, a bit in jest maybe, but also in truth. I am the same person I was 15 years ago except for the people I’ve met, the books I’ve read, the places I’ve gone, the things I’ve memorized, and the podcasts I’ve listened to. 

Yes, podcasts. 

Want to help folding the laundry go faster? Need something to take your mind off of the stack of dishes you are clearing from the sink before bed? Want to learn a little something while you step out for a walk? Grab your smart phone, tablet, or computer and dial up a podcast . 

I cannot tell you all of the things I've accidentally learned while trying to make a task go by more enjoyably. If you have a hobby, a passion, a passing interest in a topic, you can safely bet that there is a podcast out there for you to enjoy and you can also safely bet that it won't cost you even a penny!

Below is a list of podcasts that I listen to regularly. Just click on the title to be taken to iTunes for more information or click the word website to go to that particular podcast's website.

Mostly, I prefer audio podcasts to the video ones, but there’s one video based podcast that will make me stop and look up, it’s the Ted Talks Podcast and you just never know what kind of new, fun, interesting, quirky things you will discover. You’re not gonna agree with everything you see and hear, but you’ll never be without something to ponder. This one won't change your life in its less than 5 minute length, but it will change your every day I'll bet. This one which comes in at less than 20 minutes, will make you grin and might help you understand the quiet people in your life. Click here for website.


This is the podcast to which I've been listening the longest and the most faithfully. Hosted by two insiders in the book industry, Michael Kindness & Ann Kingman, you'll learn what the latest greatest book about to be released is as well as recommendations from past years. My favorite part of each podcast is "Two Books We Can't Wait for You To Read" in which Ann and Michael each choose their favorite book of late and give a quick synopsis of it, being careful not to give anything away that would make you enjoy the story less. My bookshelves are full of recommendations from this podcast, all keepers. Recommended for book lovers. Click here for website.

When your homeschooling sister and your homeschooling mentor both, on the same day, recommend a podcast to you, it pays to listen. This podcast IS NOT JUST FOR HOMESCHOOLERS! It's for people who should be reading to their children or their grandchildren or, frankly, any children they can get to listen to words well crafted. I have thoroughly enjoyed, benefited, and have been challenged by these podcasts which encourage us all to "build our family culture around books." This one simply preaches to my choir...I even forced encouraged my Man to listen to one of the latest episodes with me a few weeks ago. He promised me he'd listen for a few minutes while we drove down the road and then he ended up listening to nearly the entire hour. The host of the podcast, Sarah Mackenzie is every bit as engaging as her all-star list of interviewees. Frequently the person being interviewed will say, "What a great question!" Highly recommended for families with children of any age. Click here for website.

I can't remember whether I discovered the book by the hosts of this podcast or the actual podcast first, both are lots of fun. When I get into a running slump, I need only to tune in to the latest episode to gain needed inspiration. Filled with interesting expert guests, sports medicine gurus, & runners of all sorts, this podcast is a wealth of information for novice and seasoned runners alike. Recommended for runners and walkers. Click here for website.

Need the scoop on the latest issues being addressed by the most current books? Here's your go to podcast. Also included in the weekly line up is a discussion of the latest news in the world of books and a quick look at the week's best-seller list. I listen to this one most Sunday mornings while I iron my Man's shirt for church. Recommended for anyone with an eye toward current events and for readers. Click here for website.

Ah, Lynne Rossetto Kasper, she makes me want to be a better cook. As the host of The Splendid Table "the radio show for people who love to eat," Lynne takes us deep into the world of food in the most engaging fashion. The show is about nearly everything we love about food: the culture, the science, the history, the chefs who cook it and so much more. Each episode is a treasure. Recommended for...people who love to eat! Click here for website.

Once in a while, I'll get on a kick and listen to an entire back list of podcasts while doing a special project. I always remember fondly the Christmas I listened to The History of the World or of Rome or of something while I wrapped gifts late into the night. These days when I get on a history jag, I tune in Stuff You Missed in History Class for some always interesting and almost always entertaining information from days gone by. Recommended for...history buffs, anyone needing something to make laundry go faster, dishes wash quicker, Christmas cards to address... Click here for website.

This podcast is simply fascinating. Covering both subjects you never realized you were interested in AND topics you've always wondered about, Freakonomics wins the "how did they ever come up with that topic award" every time. My sister and I once listened to one of the Freakonomics podcasts as we drove down the road to our other sister's home, while sharing ear buds and holding them in our respective ears for the entire episode. With episodes titled, "What do roller rinks, ultimate frisbees and the world have in common?" and "Should tipping be banned?" and "Would a big bucket of cash really change your life?" aren't you just a little curious? Recommended for: wonderers, life-long learners, people who breathe. Click here for website.

Host Tsh Oxenrider, creator of The Art of Simple blog, author, wife, and mother of three is the host of this podcast where she talks with some of her favorite people from around the internet about simple living, food, good music, writing, books, parenting, productivity, and the challenges of working from home. Recommended for: Stay-at-h0me moms, working moms, homeschooling moms, writers, readers, consumers of blogs and technology. Click here for website.

Yes! The guys from the morning show on ESPN2. I love their show, especially during football season. It helps me stay on top of the goings on in the sports world so that I can speak intelligently with my sports lovin' men and my sports lovin' friends. The show is broadcast first thing each morning but things are hopping in these parts during that time so instead of watching or listening live, I download each morning's "reader's digest" version of the podcast in the afternoon and listen as I run or make dinner. I don't get to listen everyday to these funny fellows, but I'm sure to catch their discussion if I know something big has broken in the sports arena. Recommended for sports fans and those who love them. Click here for website.

Expand your world, use your ears, nourish your brain, make boring tasks interesting! {I actually look forward to ironing these days...podcasts for the win!} 

No comments:

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails