Saturday, October 18, 2014

Nourish ~ Grin A Little...

Welcome to Nourish: 31 Days of Family, Food, and Faith. This is Day 18. To see the rest of the series click here!

Near the end of summer something interesting happened amongst our family: a subgroup was formed and it became known as "The Cool Guys." I'm not much for cliques and was certainly surprised when one developed within my own family. 

I do not remember exactly how it was that the Cool Guys began, though Meg and Kate (not the cool guys) could probably tell me. They are more than slightly miffed about being excluded from the club. 

I had my doubts about the morale of our gang as Cole and Molly walked around calling themselves "The Cool Guys" but each time I prepared to end the whole thing something would happen to show me that there was a benefit or two to be gained from their collaboration. 

"Molly," I would say, "you have to eat those vegetables." 
She would take a long suffering breath. 
"Go ahead," Cole would say in her ear, "it's what The Cool Guys do." 
And those veggies would fly down the hatch, lickety-split! 

“Molly, here’s the best way to add those numbers.”
She didn’t believe me. 
Later…
“Mom, look at this trick for my math that Cole showed me.”
It was the same thing I’d tried to tell her but apparently it was more understandable in “The Cool Guy” language.

Time and again that "It's what the cool guys would do" line delivered by the big brother made my job much easier and so, The Cool Guys live on. 

Since its inception The Cool Guys have existed under an informal charter but just a few days ago Molly decided that things need to be made more official. 


Looking at Cole she asked, "Hey, who's in charge of the Cool Guys?"

Cole answered, "I'm the captain of The Cool Guys Molly."

"Then what am I?"

"Oh you are the second in command. It's a very important job. "

"Wow!" she said, sort of impressed with her newly defined role. 

The Captain was pretty impressed with himself too but for much different reasons. He loves thinking he's pulled a fast one on Molly. 


"So," reasoned Miss Second in Command, "that means if you die, I'll
be in charge of The Cool Guys, right?"

The Captain might have grinned too soon. 


Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Share button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails